Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Dad I Never Knew

There are and have been parts of our parents lives that we know little or nothing about. Regardless of how many times or how far that they walked to get to school..."it was uphill on the way to school and on the way home."

We never heard much of the wild times that our mothers and fathers acted up and behaved badly. It would only have encouraged us to feel that our bad behavior was acceptable...not that I ever misbehaved.

I did not know until a few years ago that my dad was a tribal dancer. He just never talked about it so I never imagined that anything like this could possibly be. But there he is looking just like a little me. We used to hunt on tribal land and visit tribal people and I never knew he or I were Native Americans...now you know.

Dad stands on the far left next to his sister. This photo was taken sometime in the 1930s in northern Wisconsin. Dad went to an Indian school as a young boy.

2 comments:

  1. He does look like you when you were little. I didn't know he was a tribal dancer either - till just now. Where did you get that picture, can I have copy too. Blessings from Ringle, Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that is so cool! Your family done a great job of preserving old photos. You're right... Grandpa looks alot like you in this photo.

    ReplyDelete